J and J

Monday, October 08, 2007

Dress Shopping

Although I was initially really excited to get out and go shopping for wedding dresses at the beginning of wedding planning. I have since determined it is not all its cracked up to be. Yes it is fun to try on a bunch of pretty dresses and shopping, well everyone knows I love that.
I just find this shopping to have too much pressure. Not pressure from the sales staff as they have all been nice, but internal pressure. Most dress shops have said it takes about 6 months to order a dress, plus I am going to have to alterations done. I am currently only 8 months away from my wedding date and feeling pretty stressed out about choosing a dress soon! I have found lots of great dresses but decisions have never been my thing.
I have gone to a few different dress shops now and found one major flaw in the wedding dress shops. Most stores to dot carry all of the sizes. They just have one dress of each style to try on. Then they expect you to order your size. Without trying on the correct size I have a hard time picturing if the dress will look nice or not. This is probably going to be the most expensive item of clothing I will ever purchase; I would at least like to try it on first.
Nearly every time I have gone dress shopping I come home feeling discouraged since I have yet to choose a dress. I have heard from many people that once you find the dress you know it. I haven’t had that ‘for sure this is it’ feeling yet and don’t know how many more places I have time to go to. I really only have time on the weekends. I did try to go one evening to look for dresses but no one could come with me and I ended up getting to know the sales clerk a little too much for my taste.
Anyway this is my rant about choosing a wedding dress…. It isn’t easy.

3 Comments:

  • I've been thinking about this since this weekend. First, I don't think you should worry if you don't get the "this one is it" feeling, because sometimes it just doesn't happen that way. Second, It is a BIG decision, and a hard one to make, but trust your instincts. You know what you like and don't like. And I don't think there is really a "wrong" decision here. Third, maybe you could call David's and ask them to try to find you the correct size, color, etc, of that particular dress at one of their other stores so you could try it on. They have a bazillion stores, so I'm sure they have that particular one someplace. And finally, I agree - those bridal shops ought to be ASHAMED of themselves. To only carry dresses in size 6 is just plain ludicrous. If they can't afford to carry all sizes, don't sell them. So there.
    Mom H.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/08/2007 5:56 PM  

  • If you ever need anyone to go with you I can help you!! I will clear my schedule and help you with whatever you need..after all thats what I am here for!! As for making a decision..I think they all look wonderful on you and if you want to go back anywhere and narrow your search down let me know!

    Sarah

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/08/2007 7:42 PM  

  • Yeah, I agree with the first two comments. Also, I know how stressful it can be to do the shopping. And I had that feeling about my dress, but not until after I had decided to get that one. I was choosing between a few that were pretty different, and I was just not sure. And then Karissa explained to me why the one dress was best (one was too casual, one was too much like a prom dress, and one had been one that I didn't like at first and had only learned to like after being told it was pretty and after seeing how inexpensive it was). After I knew I had made the decision, I felt a super stong connnection to my dress. It was almost like I was subconsciously guarding myself. But once the pressure of deciding was gone, the feeling was there.

    So, my advice is to try not to stress (I know it is hard!), and to listen to the advice people give you (if I hadn't listened to Karissa, I might have chosen a different dress based on price or something). And remember, your dress will be altered to fit you perfectly. You will look amazing no matter which one you choose.

    By Blogger Cruelty-Free Mommy, at 10/13/2007 9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home